Back To: HOME | Search Collections | Feedback


University of Glasgow | Faculty of Science

Corporate Biography

Dates

1893-2000

Location of main offices

Glasgow, Scotland

Main function

Educational administration

Related authority entries

University of Glasgow | Faculty of Arts

University of Glasgow | Faculty of Medicine

University of Glasgow | Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences

History

Although the formation of a Faculty of Science had been discussed from the 1870s, it was not established until 1893 by the Commissioners appointed under the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1889. The chairs of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, Geology, Astronomy, Civil Engineering and Naval Architecture were transferred from the Faculty of Arts and those in Botany, Zoology and Chemistry from the Faculty of Medicine. The Faculty of Science was replaced on 1 October 2000 with the Faculties of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Computing Science, Mathematics and Statistics and Physical Sciences.

Administrative structure

The Faculty was presided over by an appointed Dean and conducted its own academic administration, including degree and course development, admissions and appeals and the financial administration of its resources.

Reference codes of collections created by the corporate body

GB 0248 GUA SCI

Notes

None

Rules or Conventions

Authority record created according to the National Council on ArchivesRules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names (NCA Rules)1997 and International Council on Archives: Ad Hoc Committee on Descriptive StandardsInternational Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families (ISAAR)CPF1995.

Date of Creation

Corporate name authority record compiled for the GASHE project by Victoria Peters, research archivist, 2 September 2005