Back To: HOME | Search Collections | Feedback


University of Glasgow | Faculty of Medicine

Corporate Biography

Dates

1451 to date

Location of main offices

Glasgow, Scotland

Main function

Educational administration

Related authority entries

Anderson College of Medicine, Glasgow

Glasgow Veterinary College

Glasgow Vet School

St Mungo's College of Medicine, Glasgow

History

The Faculty of Medicine was one of the four faculties formed at the foundation of the university in 1451 although the formal teaching of medicine did not begin on a regular basis until 1714 with the appointment of a professor of Practice of Medicine.

In 1947, the Glasgow Dental School, together with two independent medical colleges in Glasgow, St Mungo's College and Anderson's College of Medicine, merged with the Faculty. In 1949, the Glasgow Veterinary College also joined the Faculty.

Mandate

The Faculty originally included teaching in Medicine, Botany and Anatomy to which were added later Chemistry, Natural History, Surgery, Midwifery, Materia Medica, Physiology and Forensic Medicine. In 1893, teaching in Botany, Zoology and Chemistry was removed from the Faculty on the establishment of the Faculty of Science. Veterinary Medicine was taught in the faculty from 1949 until 1966 when the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was established. Nursing was added in 1977. In September 2002, the Wolfson Medical School Building on University Avenue was opened.

Administrative structure

The faculty was presided over by an appointed Dean and conducted its own academic administration, including degree and course development, admissions and appeals and the financial administration of its resources.

Reference codes of collections created by the corporate body

GB 0248 GUA MED

Notes

None

Rules or Conventions

Authority record created according to the National Council on ArchivesRules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names (NCA Rules)1997 and International Council on Archives: Ad Hoc Committee on Descriptive StandardsInternational Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families (ISAAR)CPF1995.

Date of Creation

Corporate name authority record compiled for the GASHE project by Victoria Peters, research archivist, 1 September 2005