Back To: HOME | Search Collections | Feedback


University of Glasgow | Faculty of Engineering

Corporate Biography

Dates

1923 to date

Location of main offices

Glasgow, Scotland

Main function

Educational administration

History

The Faculty of Engineering was formed in 1923, although engineering had been taught at the University since 1840. This was partly a consequence of the concordat with the Royal Technical College (now the University of Strathclyde) ratified in 1913. This allowed Royal Technical College students to receive Glasgow degrees in applied sciences, particularly engineering. The trigger for the foundation of the Faculty was the foundation of two new chairs in Electrical Engineering and in the Theory and Practice of Heat Engines by the Institute of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland to commemorate the centenary of the death of James Watt.

Mandate

The Faculty originally comprised the chairs of Civil Engineering and Mechanics, Naval Architecture, Mining, Electrical Engineering, Theory and Practice of Heat Engines, Mathematics, Natural Philosophy, Astronomy, Chemistry, Political Economy, Geology and Applied Physics.

Administrative structure

The Faculty was presided over by an appointed Dean and conducted its own academic administration, including degree and course development, admissions and appeals and the financial administration of its resources.

Reference codes of collections created by the corporate body

GB 0248 GUA ENG

Notes

Rules or Conventions

Authority record created according to the National Council on ArchivesRules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names (NCA Rules)1997 and International Council on Archives: Ad Hoc Committee on Descriptive StandardsInternational Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families (ISAAR)CPF1995.

Date of Creation

Corporate name authority record compiled for the GASHE project by Victoria Peters, research archivist, 1 September 2005