Back To: HOME | Search Collections | Feedback


University of Glasgow | Faculty of Divinity

Corporate Biography

Dates

1451-2002

Location of main offices

Glasgow, Scotland

Main function

Educational administration

Related authority entries

Trinity College, Glasgow

History

The Faculty of Divinity was created at the foundation of the University in 1451. In 1935, it was enlarged by amalgamation with Trinity College, Glasgow. In 2002, the Faculty was dissolved and a School of Divinity within the Faculty of Arts established in its place.

Details of premises

Following the amalgamation with Trinity College, the Faculty used the college building opposite the University on Park Hill until its sale for conversion to residential accommodation in the 1980s.

Mandate

The Faculty was originally a higher degree faculty offering postgraduate courses to students who had already taken an arts degree. However, in practice, undergraduates also attended classes. Initially there was only one professor, but in the early eighteenth century chairs were added in Ecclesiastical History, and Hebrew and Semitic Languages. Officially, teaching in the Faculty was originally only available to members of the Church of Scotland, but the University was sympathetic to seceders (Presbyterians who withdrew from the established Church of Scotland in 1733). They were given permission to use the Fore Hall of the Old College in the High Street for their own classes and to share in university teaching.

By the nineteenth century, the Faculty provided degrees at both undergraduate and postgraduate level and courses in Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology, Church History and Practical Theology. Some theology students trained for the ordained ministry, but many pursued other careers.

In 1994, the Faculty established the Trinity St.Mungo Press which published books on research and teaching in the Faculty.

Administrative structure

The Faculty was presided over by an appointed Dean and conducted its own academic administration, including degree and course development, admissions and appeals and the financial administration of its resources.

Reference codes of collections created by the corporate body

GB 0248 GUA DIV

Notes

Rules or Conventions

Authority record created according to the National Council on ArchivesRules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names (NCA Rules)1997 and International Council on Archives: Ad Hoc Committee on Descriptive StandardsInternational Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families (ISAAR)CPF1995.

Date of Creation

Corporate name authority record compiled for the GASHE project by Victoria Peters, research archivist, 31 August 2005