Back To: HOME | Search Collections | Feedback


Veterinary College, Glasgow

Corporate Biography

Dates

1863-1909

Location of main offices

Buccleuch Street, Garnethill, Glasgow, Scotland

Main function

Veterinary school

Related authority entries

Glasgow Veterinary College

Glasgow Vet School

History

The Veterinary College, Glasgow was formally established in 1863 by Royal Warrant, although its origins dated back to 1859 when James McCall, FRCVS, an Ayrshire graduate of the Dick Veterinary College in Edinburgh started a practice in Hope Street, Glasgow, acting as veterinary surgeon to the largest railway contractors. He began giving classes for Edinburgh students who lived in Glasgow. Formal classes began in 1862 with 10 students. In 1909 the College was incorporated as Glasgow Veterinary College

Details of premises

The first classes for Edinburgh students were given in Sauchiehall Lane, Glasgow. In 1863 McCall moved to larger premises at 397 Parliamentary Road, Glasgow. In 1873 a new building, which previously had been a water-pumping station, was acquired at 83 Buccleuch Street. After refurbishment the new college was opened on 28 October 1874.

Mandate

James McCall applied for a Royal Warrant to prepare students for the examinations of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and this was granted on 2 June 1863. The first 2 vets received their qualifications in April 1865 from the Highland and Agricultural Society, which examined Scottish students until 1881. Students of the College also attended classes in Anderson's College of Medicine (?) in materia medica and chemistry

Notes

List of sources for the administrative information:

Moss, M., 'The origins of the Glasgow Vet School', The Newsletter of the University of Glasgow Veterinary Faculty, Issue 5, (, April 1997)

Rules or Conventions

Authority record created according to the National Council on ArchivesRules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names (NCA Rules)1997 and International Council on Archives: Ad Hoc Committee on Descriptive StandardsInternational Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families (ISAAR)CPF1995.

Date of Creation

Corporate name authority record compiled for the GASHE project by Emily Woolmore, GASHE project archivist, 28 March 2000