Back To: HOME | Search Collections | Feedback


St Andrew's College of Education, Glasgow

Corporate Biography

Dates

1981-1999

Location of main offices

Bearsden, Glasgow

Main function

Higher education institution

Related authority entries

Faculty of Education, University of Glasgow

History

St Andrew's College of Education was established in 1981 and was the result of the merger of Notre Dame College of Education and Craiglockhart College. Notre Dame College of Education was set up in 1895 and Craiglockhart College opened in 1919 both as teacher training institutions for Catholics. St Andrew's College of Education was a Catholic Institute of Higher Education. It was set up as a National Catholic College, a witness of the Catholic Church in Scottish Higher Education. On 11 April 1999 St Andrew's College of Education merged with Glasgow University and formed the University's Faculty of Education

Details of premises

Notre Dame College of Education was located in Bearsden, Glasgow and Craiglockhart College in Edinburgh, about 50 miles apart. When the two colleges merged it was decided that all training should be located at Bearsden, Glasgow with some of the Craiglockhart buildings being retained as a centre for research and development and for generating in-service activity. This In-service, Research and Development Unit moved to Moray House in 1986 with a small in-service base being set up at Dundee College.

Mandate

Following an inspection in 1987-1988St Andrew's College made changes to its structure forming Directorates of Pre-Service Programmes, In-Service Programmes, Learning Resources and Religious Education and Pastoral Care. Among the pre-service courses offered at St Andrew's College of Education was a BEd in Primary Education, validated by the Council for National Academic Awards and postgraduate courses leading to teaching certificates in primary and secondary education. The College also validated in-service courses leading to additional qualifications in religious education and special educational needs. With the demise of the Council for National Academic Awards in 1993 closer links with the University of Glasgow were sought. St. Andrew's College became an associate college of Glasgow University in 1993(?) and that University now validated the BEd in Primary Education and a BEd in Music offered in association with Jordanhill College of Education and the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. When St Andrews College became an associate college of Glasgow University the internal structure of the College was further developed with the establishment of a Department of Professional Studies. The aim of this was to support growing partnerships between the College and schools, collaborating with the profession itself in the development of teacher education.

Reference codes of collections created by the corporate body

GB 0248 UGC 58

Notes

List of sources for the administrative information:

FitzPatrick, T.A., No mean service: Scottish Catholic teacher education, 1895-1995: a centenary celebration, (Bearsden, Glasgow, St Andrew's College, 1995)

O'Hagan, Francis, Change, challenge and achievement: a study of the development of Catholic Education in Glasgow in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, (Glasgow, St Andrew's College, 1996)

Rules or Conventions

Authority record created according to the National Council on ArchivesRules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names (NCA Rules)1997 and International Council on Archives: Ad Hoc Committee on Descriptive StandardsInternational Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families (ISAAR)CPF1995.

Date of Creation

Corporate name authority record compiled for the GASHE project by Emily Woolmore, GASHE project archivist, 28 March 2000